Need some tips in reorganizing our LAN.

lars lars at storage.mine.nu
Wed Mar 29 07:32:10 UTC 2006

Benjamin Lutz <benlutz at datacomm.ch> wrote:
> Hello jay,
>
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 05:55, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> > The MIS suggested a LAN transition project, and I was assigned to lead the
> > team. Right now, we are only two in this very big team. :-) I'm just
> > wondering if I will ever gonna finish this project or not. I have a lot of
> > stuffs mixed up in my mind right now but I really don't know where to
> > start.
>
> If you don't have it already, I'd start cleaning up the old system without
> changing it's structure. Remove the redudancies, eg unnecessary cascading
> switches, or computers that are no longer used. This will give you a clear
> idea of what the current layout looks like, making it easier to plan changes,
> and with some luck it'll also give you a hardware stockpile that you can then
> recycle for your new LAN.
>
> >  I have these in my mind right now:
> >
> >  Connectivity
> >  1. wired
> >  2. wireless
>
> I see no place for a wireless network in a professional network. It's hard to
> secure it (it's possible, encrypted-VPN-over-WLAN works, but it's difficult
> and expensive to set up). Stick with a wired LAN, and there'll be one
> security threat less that you have to worry about.
>
> >  Machines being hooked into the network:
> >  1. servers
> >  2. workstations
>
> Make a list of the servers you have, and which user groups need them. Make a
> list of which logical user groups there are. Then design a network layout to
> match those needs. You could, for example, put each use group into its own
> subnet, including the servers it needs. Access between user groups could then
> be restricted at will*.
>
> Alternatively, put some or all servers into a dedicated subnet. This will also
> allow protecting them better.
>
> I realize I'm being very unspecific, but you didn't give us all that much
> information.
>
> >  3. testbeds
>
> If there are users accessing those, treat them as servers. Otherwise, isolate
> them from the production network.
>
> >  4. personal (laptops etc.)
>
> This is a difficult one. Personal laptops are machines you have no direct
> control over (you cannot control what software is installed on it), and as
> such they are a high risk factor when they are connected to your network.
> They might introduce malware into the company, or evade your file storage
> procedures.
>
> This is a matter of policy basically. Try to restrict personal machines as
> much as you can. Forbid connecting them to the LAN. If you can't do that,
> maybe have specialized laptop ports that are firewalled off from the rest of
> the network.
>
> >  Will use DHCP
>
> Keep in mind that a DHCP server needs to be in the same subnet it serves.
> Other services do not have this requirement.
>
> >  Will use centralized directory service
> [...]

I agree with Ben's assessment.

Don't change all at once.

Divide and conquer.

Step by step you'll change the whole spaghetti pile.

Draw the LAN.

Simplify the setup by reducing the number of cables, devices, machines
and connections. Less devices - less problems.

Prioritize the problems you discovered.
Begin with the problem that has a high impact and high probability
when/of happening. The FreeBSD box maybe?

If you can get away with it, make unnoticable changes without asking.
Saves you losing your mind in discussions and politics.

You'll be fine.

Cheers
Lars