Xemacs cursor in console

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Mar 29 05:02:57 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-26 11:40, Thomas Dickey <dickey at radix.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:28:31PM +0300, User Elisej wrote:
>> I use XEmacs 21.4 (patch 19)
>> It sets the cursor as large blinking block on its own everytime.
>> How to forbid it this?
>
> It's using the terminal settings (terminfo cvvis, termcap vs)
> to see how to do this.  FreeBSD provides only rudimentary
> support for customizing your terminal description (the
> preferred solution); and chosing an alternative description can
> be frustrating (apparently the recommended solution ;-)

I'm not sure if XEmacs does this too, but GNU Emacs used to set
the cursor to "visible" when it fires up.  This is what sets the
cursor to a large blinking box in FreeBSD consoles.

In CVS versions of GNU Emacs this has been fixed with the
'visible-cursor tunable.  If this is set to non-nil, the cursor
is still set to a large blinking box.  If set to nil, then the
cursor remains the same as before (my preferred setting).

HTH,
Giorgos