Removable drives

Christopher Sean Hilton chilton at vindaloo.com
Wed Mar 29 00:01:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a question to the community about removable drives, pendrives
and usb and firewire attached hard drives. I'm just wondering how
people are dealing with them in FreeBSD. I don't have any operational
problems with them. I'm just wondering if I'm doing things the hard
way.

First Question: Which filesystem are people using on usb flash drives
and removable hard drives? I'm using a mixture of ufs2, ext2, and
msdos. I'm using ufs2 because I'm also using cfs to encrypt the
contents and although I haven't tested this, I'm fairly certain cfs
want's semantics that aren't in the msdos filesystem.

Second Question: Are most people using vfs_usermount=1? I'm using the
automounter. It's a little bit more work to setup but I'm using a
laptop and since I've started to use the automounter the number of
times that I've had to fsck my removable drive because I've suspended
my laptop with a pendrive still attached and mounted has been reduced
incredibly.

Thanks for your time
-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"