User unknown?

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Mar 27 21:56:25 UTC 2006

Guillaume R. wrote:
> Hello
> I'm trying to setup (for the first time under FreeBSD!) my usual setup
> to read my mail (postfix+fm+procmail+mutt)
> But I got a serious problem: when I try to fetch the mails for my user
> those mails dont go in /var/mail/my_user but *always* in
> /var/mail/root...
> I read all the mails I receive from the system and I could see that on
> this box my_user is...unknown so I can't having those mails in a
> normal way.
> Does anyone could help me by telling me which files I must modify so
> that it works (I suppose I got to change my hostname too but I cant
> find any /etc/hostname file...)
> Thx
> PS:btw does anyone remember the option so that fetchmail fetch *all*
> the mails (the one non-read and the other one read as well)?
> Thx again

Sounds like you're coming from Linux?

Did you add the user? can you login as that user?

If you pasted the user info into master.passwd then you need run
pwd_mkdb to update the db files. If you pasted into passwd, then that's
not the way to do it.

Use pw(8) to add users and keep files correctly updated.

You set hostname in rc.conf.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org