E-mail server, minimalist approach

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 22:09:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:38:42PM +0100, Vaaf wrote:

> My minimalist approach to using MySQL for instance, is to stay away
> from phpMyAdmin and just create my databases like this:
>
> CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS database;
> GRANT USAGE ON database.* TO database at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
> GRANT ALL ON database.* TO database at localhost;

Ummm... the minimalist approach would only require /two/ lines:

  CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS database ;
  GRANT ALL ON database.* TO database at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password' ;

More pertinently, the really big advantage of doing stuff the
command-line way is that you can arrange all this sort of thing as a
series of scripts preserved under CVS or the like.  Takes a little
more effort the first time you do it, then saves you having to
rediscover it all the next or any subsequent time.

	   Cheers,

	   Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW