what is going on??

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Mar 25 13:32:40 UTC 2006

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Jonathan Horne wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies everyone.
>>
>> It turned out to be partially ipv6, partially the ipfw on my pfsense
>> firewall.  Ultimately, the hangup was in sendmail, unable to start.  Ipv6
>> messages in the logevel 20 maillogs.
>>
>> However, during all my troubles, I was always able to resolve
>> ftp.freebsd.org (I don't think I mentioned that before), as well as I
>> could
>> ping it and any number of other hosts as I scratched my head for 3 hours.
>>
>> Ultimately, I ended up compiling a new kernel anyway to enable SMP, and I
>> just removed the ipv6 support while I was there.  That and disabling the
>> userlan ftp-proxy application on my firewall, I was up and running this
>> morning within a few hours of compiling.
>>
>> So long fedora!
>>
>> :D
>>
>> jonathan

>>> jonathan
>>

> Could have just turned the firewall off I would think in /etc/rc.conf.
> Don't see why recompiling a kernel without ipv6 support was necessary as
> that shouldn't have been preventing network connections at all.

FWIW...
I had trouble with name resolution when IPv6 was enabled, long time
back.  It was explained to me (by Kris I think) that there are still
quite a few 'broken' DNS servers out there.  'Broken' with respect to
servicing IPv6 requests.  So your name resolver would seem to get hung
up till it timed out (when you had IPv6 built in).  So the solution for
me at the time, was simply remove it from my kernel config file.  I've
done so ever since, as I do not *need* IPv6.  It wasn't 'preventing
network connections'... it was causing sshd to hang while trying to
resolve something.

HTH
> Good luck with FreeBSD :).
> -Garrett