Cups startup problem on NFS client (w/resolution)

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Sat Mar 25 01:16:15 UTC 2006

This afternoon I had an interesting problem. Cups failed to startup on
my machine and threw the error:

     cupsd: Child exited with status 48

or somesuch. The short story is that rpc.statd had grabbed port 631 on
my machine and that blocked cups from working. Normally this would be
harmless except the printer server box on my network sends out cups
broadcasts on udp:631 which hosed up the rpc.statd until I had to reboot
the box. Is there some way to tell rpc.statd and any other rpc daemons
not to use a particular port. I didn't see such a switch in the man
page.

-- Chris