Vanishing libraries - libgmodule-2.0.so.600

Oliver Iberien oliver.iberien at charter.net
Fri Mar 24 18:03:22 UTC 2006

I have been using portupgrade with a new tree, initially
portupgrade -Pa
of which not all succeeded the first time round, largely because although
necessary packages were present, necessary libraries had gone missing. This
last time, after lengthy recompiling to get gnucash working, konqueror began
reporting kio-slave i:o errors. I reinstalled kdelibs3 and its dependencies.
It works again, but there is a marked loss of performance. Now kalarm reports
missing libraries.

A poster referred me to the /usr/ports/UPDATING notice on libtool, which I
read with dismay. It indicates that automatic updaters should be used
"carefully." I only know what I have read in the Handbook and in the man
page, and so can't yet aspire to this "careful" standard. I can't find
agreement on a fix in the archives.

As for kalarm:

bsd# ldd /usr/local/bin/kalarm
/usr/local/bin/kalarm:
[snip]
        libgmodule-2.0.so.600 => not found (0x0)
        libgthread-2.0.so.600 => not found (0x0)

I searched the archive. There is a thread about this here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2005-November/104464.html
indicating that the problem is an improper port upgrade, in that ports relying
on glib had not been updated. It suggests using the automatic processes that
UPDATING says should be used with care.

My best guess was:
portupgrade -r glib-2.8.6_1
portupgrade -f glib-2.8.6_1

but these libraries remain missing. I will have to attempt this symlink
solution for want of anything better, as I rely on kalarm, but does anyone
have a better solution?

Oliver