/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk12 - gnome applications will not compile

Oliver Iberien oliver-forward at charter.net
Thu Mar 23 22:48:13 UTC 2006

I am trying to upgrade to gnucash 1.8.12 on Free BSD 6.0. It fails with a
message saying that the gal libraries are not installed. The gal-0.24_1
package is already installed. In attempting to update it through the ports
system, I consistently get compile failures with:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk12

The same happened with guppi and gwrap. gtk12 is installed and up to date. I
deinstalled and reinstalled, but it made no difference.

I have reinstalled all the packages that had been removed and run pkgdb -F to
reset the dependencies.

Now:

$ gnucash
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "Invalid shared object handle 0x28078d00"
$

Before I break anything else, I thought I would write this list. How to I make
this missing libgtk12 available again? And is there anything else required to
get gnucash up and running again?

Oliver