favorite ATA/SATA hard disk brand?

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Thu Mar 23 13:23:29 UTC 2006

> If I were going to run RAID-1, I would pick two disks of the
> same size but different brands (Samsung and Hitachi 250Gb
> say).  If you buy two disks of the same brand at the same
> time from the same supplier, it always seems to me that you
> increase the chance that a) they come from the same batch b)
> therefore if one has some production-line-related fault, the
> other is more likely to have the same fault.
>
> --Alex

Actually, this is an excellent advise for the fact mentioned above, and as well some RAID-1 controllers actually malfunction when one of the two identical disks goes bad. So you'll have to physically disconnect the bad disk from the card. This happened to me on a Promise Controller. You'll even see a notice about it in the new Promise controllers User Guide !

Tamouh