Continuing Server Crash Saga!

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Thu Mar 23 00:43:17 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Re: my Dell PE 1850 crashes (freezes).

After scouring the Buglists, I have found a few others who have servers that
were exhibiting exactly the same issues as mine. Random crashes on reliable
hardware, with not OS (FreeBSD 6.0) logs showing any issues.

In FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE, there seemed to be a QUOTA application bug. The
three people I talked to have eliminated the freezing problem by disabling
user and group disk QUOTA support. I have now disabled QUOTA on my system,
and will report back in 10 days. (5 is the magic number, 10 would be
reasonale to conclude success).

I have been advised to upgrade to 6.1.

I have never been very successful with upgrading a live system, so generally
I backup data and completely reinstall.

I am hoping someone here will tell me upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1 would be a
trivial task, posing minimal danger, and perhaps point me to a decent
tutorial or how to ...

thanks all,

-Grant

QUOTA Freeze lockup lock up version 6 6.0 non responsive not responding
unreachable.