favorite ATA/SATA hard disk brand?

Steve Camp steve at camp.com
Wed Mar 22 23:24:01 UTC 2006

What brand / make / model ATA / SATA hard disks do you prefer?

I am looking to purchase some SATA disks in the 160 - 300GB size.
I got a good deal (I think) on a Samsung OEM 250GB disk for $95 at my
local MicroCenter, but read on the web a few days later one gamer /
system builder / geeks-on-call type that he had *4* Samsung OEM disks
all die on him.  So he swore off Samsung.

So whom do you like / recommend?

I'm currently organizing a list in my mind that looks something like:

    #1 Seagate Barracuda SATA disks
    #2 Hitachi Deskstar (formerly IBM)
    #3 Fujitsu (models not known)
    #4,5,6 Maxtor, Samsung, Western Digital

Intended use is for a server (NFS, maybe SAMBA) in a RAID-1 (mirrored)
configuration.  I am thinking of using an ASUS A8V, A8V-E SE, or one
of the A8N Nvidia Nforce4 motherboards.  OSes to include:  FreeBSD,
Linux, Winbloze (maybe).

Your experiences, expertise, recommendations are most welcome.

--
Steve Camp
steve at camp.com