Apache ssl startup

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Mar 22 22:01:10 UTC 2006

--On Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:50:24 -0900 Beech Rintoul
<beech at mangohealth.org> wrote:

> When I put apache2_enable="YES" in rc.conf it starts in normal mode at
> boot. When I put apache2ssl_enable="YES" in rc.conf it doesn't start at
> all. After boot doing apachectl stop and apachectl startssl starts the
> server in  ssl mode.

I had this same problem with apache2 a while ago.  I also found that, once
I started apache with ssl, I couldn't also run it without ssl.  Since it
was a production server and I was in no mode to troubleshoot, I reverted to
apache13 w/ mod_ssl, which works just fine for me.  I never got around to
investigating it further, but I've seen this complaint on the list
periodically for some time now.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas