Kernel settings for Dell 1850 and 2850 with 4GB of ram

Riemer Palstra riemer at palstra.com
Wed Mar 22 09:04:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:57:15PM -0500, Ian Lord wrote:
> I am currently running freebsd 6 (amd64) on dells servers that have
> dual xeon processors in them. There is also 4 gigs of ram in them.

Your mileage may vary, but this is what I run on some Dedicated Dell
1850s which have quite some heavy MySQL usage:

> Could someone tell me:
>
> 1- What is the cpu I need to specify in my config ?

I generally go with just 'i686'.

> 2- Do I need to run PAE to have access to all my 4 gigs of ram ?

Yes. (On a 1850, I only got +/- 3 GB with PAE off).

> 3- Should I use ULE or 4BSD has my threading model ? (I currently run
> ULE but it seems it's slower then 4BSD for the posts in that forum)

I still tend to stay away from ULE from production machines, my last
testing on 6.0 with it still showed signs of it being somewhat slower.
This may have changed for the upcoming 6.1, haven't tested that yet.

> 4- What threading should I use in mysql for better stability and
> performance (generic or ?)

I use libthr. It performs slightly better than default for the
situations I use it in (which is mainly database powered websites and
such).

--
Riemer Palstra		     		      Amsterdam, The Netherlands
riemer at palstra.com				 http://www.palstra.com/