Why doesn't Turn Off The Computer turn off the computer?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 22 04:47:16 UTC 2006

Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> On 22/03/2006, at 3:23 AM, regnans at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>>
>>> When I log out and select "Turn off the computer" it shuts down the
>>> system and leaves the machinery running, displaying this message:
>>>
>>> "The operating system has halted.
>>> Please press any key to reboot."
>>
>> I figure you use kdm as Display Manager, because "Turn off the computer"
>> is what is offers as a choice when you select "Shutdown".
>> To set it up properly, run kcontrol, select "System Administration",
>> then "Login Manager", then "Shutdown". Go into Administrator Mode and
>> correct the command for "Halt" to "/sbin/halt -p".
>

> Yes, it was simply a matter of issuing the -p switch
>
> thank you Helge, for spotting the kdm reference and giving
> the easiest method for fixing the problem
>

> malcolm

Well, 'twas a lucky guess on Helge's part.  XFCE also
offers "Turn off the computer", and I'd be willing to
guess that GNOME doesn't do it much differently, either.

So, there's something to be said for detail in you description
of your problems.  Nonetheless, we're glad you've got it working,
and perhaps this thread will be of assistance to others who
will search the archives and find it.

KDK

--
You don't move to Edina, you achieve Edina.
		-- Guindon