pkg_add -r openoffice Error: FTP Unable to get ftp:

Kenyon Ralph kralph at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 01:51:32 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, David Armour <dfarmour at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> it's still fetching it, as we speak... (tip-toeing around) i installed
> the port a few weeks ago on a different install, and it required 9gb.
> is there a way to find out how much space the package needs / uses? i
> got the impression that the package route for large-ish installs such as
> openoffice used less, but i've definitely been wrong before.

9 GB is quite excessive.  That is probably 9 GB including all the
unpacked source, the tarball, the left over build tree, etc, all stuff
you can delete after the build completes.  Still seems like too much
though.

Anyway, certainly the precompiled binary package will use less space.
For comparison, on my Linux box openoffice.org-2.0.2 only takes about
270 MB installed.

I don't know how to determine sizes and such yet on FreeBSD though, as
I'm still new to it.  It's probably in the Handbook or man pages.