Why doesn't Turn Off The Computer turn off the computer?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Mar 21 14:31:41 UTC 2006

> When I log out and select "Turn off the computer" it shuts down the
> system and leaves the machinery running, displaying this message:
>
> "The operating system has halted.
> Please press any key to reboot."
>
> Pressing the power button fires up the system. I have to hold the power
> button down for several seconds to get a forced power-off or pull the
> plug.
>
> How do I setup BSD so that the command at the login panel turns the
> machine off?

Sounds like one (or both) of two things.

One (most likely) you are using the wrong command to shut the machine down.
  shutdown -h [now]   tells it to shut down the system and leave it on
                      but in a 'halted' state, just as you are seeing.
You need to use:
  shutdown -p [now]   to get it to power down after it finishes shutting down.

The other possibility is that your BIOS is either not set to accept
a power down signal or there is some incompatibility with it and what
FreeBSD sends it.   If just switching to '-p' above doesn't do the
trick, go in to the BIOS and look for where it turns the software power
down feature on and off and make sure it is on.

////jerry