Why doesn't Turn Off The Computer turn off the computer?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Mar 21 04:06:20 UTC 2006

Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> When I log out and select "Turn off the computer" it shuts
> down the system and leaves the machinery running, displaying
>
> "The operating system has halted.
> Please press any key to reboot."
>
> Pressing the power button fires up the system. I have
> to hold the power button down for several seconds to
> get a forced power-off or pull the plug.
>
> How do I setup BSD so that the command at the login
> panel turns the machine off?
>
> Malcolm

It might be helpful to mention your windowing
system, but I doubt that it will make a lot of difference.

Most likely, FreeBSD doesn't "grok" your system's
ACPI.  What does "uname -a" say? (Let's establish
your OS version first).

Do you have any references to "ACPI" in your system's
boot message?  (you can look in /var/run/dmesg.boot).

What does kldstat(8) show?  Is "acpi.ko" loaded?

It is quite possible, if you are running a relatively
recent release on an older machine, that ACPI support
is intentionally disabled for your motherboard because
FreeBSD considers the system's BIOS/ACPI to be
"broken".  If this is the case, I'm not sure if the
situation can be corrected, or not.  The good news:
sometimes it is possible to tell the system what kind
of ACPI support you need, and have it loaded at
boot-time; the bad news: some motherboards/BIOS
will never be supported, there simply won't be
enough programmer time to devote to all the
whims of every chipset designer who's been allowed
to release a product.

Kevin Kinsey

--
Imagine me going around with a pot belly.
It would mean political ruin.