Urgent FreeBSD Boot question!

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Mon Mar 20 21:21:21 UTC 2006

Dear friends:

I decided to go out and buy the latest issue of Linux Format with the
FreeBSD 6 CD. I am very glad I did. FreeBSD is tough to install, but
after spending several hours I finally succeeded in doing a perfect
installation. ONE BIG PROBLEM: When I removed the CD and rebooted, I got
into my Windows XP (I have two separate disks, one for Windows, one of
FreeBSD). There was no way to get into FreeBSD. Naturally, I went into
my BIOS and changed the boot sequence from CD to Hard Drive. That only
caused my system to boot into Windows XP.

I read the instructions about the FreeBSD Boot Manager. It said clearly
that it should allow switching from one OS to another. But I did not see
any configuration for that. How, may I ask, do I do this while
installing FreeBSD? How do I change this configuration to guarantee that
all my work won't go down the toilet and that when I reboot, I will see
Lilo or whatever as a boot manager that will allow me to select either
FreeBSD or Windows?

I am looking forward to solving this and then to actually seeing FreeBSD
for the first time.

Thank you so much in advance.

Benjamin