sendmail configuration

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Mar 20 21:00:36 UTC 2006

Please *DON'T top post.

On 2006-03-20 07:31, Ming Tang <mtang at insightbb.com> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas [mailto:keramida at ceid.upatras.gr] wrote:
>>Ming Tang [mailto:mtang at insightbb.com] wrote:
>>>
>>> I got an email problem. My server can only receive email but
>>> cannot send any email out after I changed my server configuration
>>> recently from NAT to a D-Link router (DI-624) which supports and
>>> passes through all virtual servers to an internal server. I always
>>> get the attached error message as soon as I send a mail out from a
>>> pop-client, MS Outlook. I think the message was generate by my own
>>> email server. I can send out email no problem if I chose from
>>> other email servers.
>>>
>>> My domain name server was configured as follows:
>>>
>>> ns1.n2mt.com is an internal server for name server, email server,
>>> and web server.
>>>
>>> n2mt.com.	in A 12.208.70.3
>>> 		in MX 5 ns1.n2mt.com.
>>
>> You are not using 'domainname.com' as an internal, local-only domain
>> name, right?  Because it's already taken and registered by a *real*
>> name-server out there...
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I did not use real domain name in my last message.
> I just modified the original message and replaced domainname.com by real
> domain name with email problem.

Much better.  Now we can at least use normal tools like `host', `dig'
and others to help you find out more information.

>>> I configured email files 'access' and 'local-host-names' files for
>>> sendmail (2000 version) as follows.
>>>
>>> n2mt.com	RELAY				for access
>>> n2mt.com					for local-host-name
>>>
>>> And mapped in 'virtusertable' as:   @n2mt.com %1 at ns1.n2mt.com

This last part doesn't look very right.  You don't have to rewrite
local addresses using `virtusertable' if you simply want all of them
to be local.  Just add both `n2mt.com' and `ns1.n2mt.com' to
`local-host-names'.

>>> These files were compiled and mail & domain name server restarted,
>>> but the problem still remains there.
>>>
>>> Any one there got any idea or experienced the same
>>> problems. Please help.  Thanks in advance.

>>[error message from some mail server]

No problem.  I still don't know if the above email error message is
the _exact_ reply you are getting though :(

Hazarding a guess, the message you see above could be related to DNS
issues.  Your name server thinks its name is `ns1.n2mt.com', but the
IP address resolves to a much different name:

# [keramida at flame /home/keramida]$ host ns1.n2mt.com.
# ns1.n2mt.com has address 12.208.70.3
# [keramida at flame /home/keramida]$ host 12.208.70.3
# 3.70.208.12.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 12-208-70-3.client.insightbb.com.
# [keramida at flame /home/keramida]$

Can you ask your ISP to assign `ns1.n2mt.com.' to your IP address too?

- Giorgos