/home is symlinked to /usr/home - question about backups

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 00:05:58 UTC 2006

I got a dedicated server a while ago, and it came with /home symlinked
to /usr/home.  I'm not entirely sure why, to tell you the truth, but
it's never posed a problem.  However if I run rsync -avz to back up my
server, it creates something like this:

/backup/march/19/home -> /usr/home

So if I were to go to /backup/march/19 and rm -rf * wouldn't it go and
delete everything in /usr/home?  That's obviously not my intended
result.  I've read all the symlink options in man rsync but honestly
am not sure what it is that I need to do.  Ideally I'd like to have
symlinks reference the relative file..so something like
/backup/march/19/home -> /backup/march/19/usr/home

That way I don't lose all my stuff if I remove the file from backup.
Right now I'm just ignoring /home when I rsync, but it makes me kind
of worried that if I ever backup without ignoring /home and then
delete my backup I might lose my live data...I could really use some
info.

Pat