unfamiliar mount points /net /host

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Mar 18 22:55:51 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Mar 18), Graham North said:
> I just noticed a couple of additional mount points after running df.
> They are /net and /hosts .  They were not there previously, I think
> they were created by automount which seems to have been added as a
> dependcy after doing a cvsup and ports upgrade.  Can someone confirm
> this and/or explain their purpose(s).

Those are amd mount points; if you have another machine set up as an
NFS server, you can cd into /net/serverhostname and it will
automatically mount the remote server's shared filesystems and unmount
them when you cd out of the directory.  /hosts does the exact same
thing.  Amd is part of the base system, so is unaffected by port
upgrades.  Those directories were most likely always there; you just
never noticed them.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com