No shared library support for realplayer?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 18 22:51:44 UTC 2006

Oliver Iberien wrote:

>On Saturday 18 March 2006 11:22 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>

>>On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:44:56AM -0800, Oliver Iberien wrote:
>>

>>>I installed Realplayer by running make clean install in its port
>>>directory. It all seemed to go fine, but it won't run, and no amount of
>>>Googling has yielded anything. Here is the debugging output. Has anyone
>>>got any ideas?
>>>
>>>Oliver
>>>
>>>(gdb) run
>>>Starting program: /usr/X11R6/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
>>>warning: no shared library support for this OS / ABI
>>>
>>>** ERROR **: Unable to open display
>>>aborting...
>>>

>>Doesn't this just mean you forgot to set DISPLAY?
>>
>>Kris
>>

> Thanks very much for your reply. It's possible, especially as I don't know
> how! Could you tell me where I would do that and what it should be set to?

I guess a question that is obvious to many of us is, "are you attempting
to run realplayer from the console?"

It is a GUI app, so you would need to start it after or along with an
X session.  For example, start X, run a xterm, and then run realplay...
If you are trying to run realplay from console, then the "unable to
open display" error would be, well, expected.

Pardon my forwardness, I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Kevin Kinsey

--
I'm going to Boston to see my doctor.  He's a very sick man.
		-- Fred Allen