Two different versions for gtk for mplayer, gnucash -- any way to resolve?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Mar 18 21:30:21 UTC 2006

Oliver Iberien wrote:

> The pkg_add version of gnucash (1.8.11) wants gtk-1.2.10_13, but the
> mplayer port version (no package?) wants 1.2.10_15. The port version
> of gnucash (1.8.12) wants the newer gtk, but the compile fails due to
> missing libraries which the port system should aready have installed
> (I thought?). I can keep 1.8.11 going.
>
> I am very new to FreeBSD and the ports system and would like to have
> both programs. Do ports and packages not keep in synch? If I run
> portupgrade, will I just end up with a mass of failed compiles (does
> that happen often) because of problems with the gtk port? Does anyone
> have any ideas as to how I can have both programs? Thanks to anyone
> who can tell me.
>
> Oliver
>
> PS: Sorry for the previous truncated version of this message. Hit
> send by accident...

>-------------
>

> That's the short version. The longer version starts here:
>
> With the newer gtk installed (presumably?), the mplayer compiles
> fails with:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgtk12.so.2, needed by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgdk12.so.2, needed by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgmodule12.so.3, needed by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgthread12.so.3, needed by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libglib12.so.3, needed by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
>
> Whereas the ports compile of gnucash (1.8.12) fails with this:
>
> checking for gdk-pixbuf-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/gdk-pixbuf-config
> checking for GDK_PIXBUF - version >= 0.2.5... no
> *** Could not run GDK_PIXBUF test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding GDK_PIXBUF or finding the
> wrong *** version of GDK_PIXBUF. If it is not finding GDK_PIXBUF,
> you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to
> point *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run
> ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
> although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH checking for gnome-config... (cached)
> /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-config checking for GNOME-PRINT - version >=
> 0.21... "found 0.37"
> checking for libglade-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/libglade-config
> checking for libglade... yes
> checking for main in -lgal... no
> [...]

Try installing /sysutils/portmanager and then running this command,
obviously as root:

portmanager finance/gnucash -l -f

This will install the program and force a rebuild of all its
dependencies. There will also be a log file created in /var/log that
you can read after the process finished.

Be sure to update your ports just prior to running this command to
insure you get the latest versions.

HTH

--
Gerard Seibert