System administration question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Mar 18 20:34:01 UTC 2006

--On March 18, 2006 2:19:34 PM -0600 Philip Hallstrom
<freebsd at philip.pjkh.com> wrote:

>> Is there a port or utility that allows you to monitor system stats by
>> (either  interactively or periodically) reading the various stat
>> utilities (fstat,  iostat, pstat or swapinfo, systat, top, vmstat, etc.)
>> and sending a report to  root that summarizes system condition?
>
> if you want graphs (of historical data) most apps seem to use rrdtool.  I
> find this page to be useful in looking at the available options...

The problem is, this is a headless server located 50 miles away.  I'd
prefer not to display stats on the webserver (other than webstats, which
are already displayed), even password controlled, and, since this is free,
volunteer work that I do on the side, I'd prefer to get email messages
daily.  I already use pflogsumm for mail stats, and it works fine.  I also
get all the standard system mail, but I'm interested in monitoring
performance systematically rather than through casual observance.

I just found devel/libstatgrab.  I'm going to take a look at that.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member