soundcard optimize

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 17 22:03:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:21:48 +0100
dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:
> Running FreeBSD-6.0 on an older AMD duron800 (512Mb). Sometimes the
> sound stutters. It's an older soundcard (es137x / SB PCI 128)
>
> I *know* the sound support is much better in FreeBSD-6.1 but I can't
> update yet (production server).

The idea of having sound and multimedia facilities on production
server is quite disturbing :)

> So I wonder, are there sysctl setttings that will improve the sound
> support in fbsd-6.0 that I can set?

1) Enable virtual channels
   # sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=10
   # sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=1

2) Increase PCI Latency Timer, either through BIOS, or using
   pciconf(8). You can use this:

     http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/utils/pcilattimer

   .. to avoid cryptic nature of pciconf(8) (it is just a wrapper to
   pciconf, by the way).

3) Use SCHED_ULE .. wait, that is production server ;)

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD