configuring fetch to passive mode

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Mar 17 13:19:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 10:41, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Hi:
>
> This ought to be a configuration tunable, but I can't find any
> documentaion on it: How to I force fetch to use passive mode?
>
> When I try "make fetch" of some port I get:
>
>    => Attempting to fetch from \
>        ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
>    fetch: \ ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/file: \
>        Operation not permitted

I suspect this is a permission problem, not ftp.

You can set passive mode with:

  FETCH_CMD=          /usr/bin/fetch -ARrp

in make.conf.

However I just noticed that I don't currently have the -p option set, and I've
not had a problem, despite being behind a similar firewall, and an external
NAT router. I'm not sure why it works; possibly fetch automatically
fails-over into passive mode.