problems using the GUI

Kris Wieschhaus ktrw25 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 03:03:29 UTC 2006

   I've been using FreeBSD for about a month now as I will be presenting
   it to my class in a couple of weeks. I am having a problem getting the
   the Windows X System to work. I have been trying for the last 2 weeks
   to get it to work. I have looked in the FAQ's section and the FreeBSD
   Handbook, but I am still unsuccessful.

   When I run startx I get

   (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
   (EE) <default pointer>: Cannot find which device to use.
   (EE) xf860OpenSerial: No Device specified
   (EE) <default pointer>: cannot open input device
   (EE) PreInit failed for input device "<default pointer>"
   No core Pointer

   Fatal server error:
   failed to initialize core devices

   I went to the X.Org web site and came to the conlusion that it is a
   problem with the Windows X System not "playing" with my mouse the way
   it should. I have a USB mouse and I can move the cursor around the
   screen.

   I have modified the /root/xorg.conf.new file for my mouse but was
   still unsuccessful at starting the GUI

   My modifications were as follows

   Section ServerLayout

               Identifier           X.org Configured

               Screen       0            Screen0 0 0

               InputDevice            Mouse0 CorePointer

               InputDevice            Keyboard CoreKeyboard

   EndSection

   I added this section:

   Section             Pointer

   Protocol            SysMouse

   Device              /dev/sysmouse

   EndSection

   I  modified this section:

   Section InputDevice

               Identifier            Mouse0

               Driver               mouse

               Option              Protocol SysMouse

               Option              Device /dev/sysmouse
   EndSection

   Any help that I could get would be much appreciated.

   [1]Make FREE PC-to-PC calls with MSN Messenger. Get it now!