resolv.conf getting rewritten at system startup

Beech Rintoul beech at mangohealth.org
Thu Mar 16 21:40:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:29, Duane Whitty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running FBSD 6.0-RELEASE
>
> I use  DHCP to configure my network interface.
> At startup my resolv.conf is overwritten, setting my
> nameserver to the address of the router running DHCP.
>
> I tried commenting out almost all of the rc.d/resolv
> startup script but to no avail.
>
> I read the man page for dhcp-options and then proceeded to add
> option domain-name-servers a.b.c.d
> This was also of no help.
>
> I then remembered something about FBSD 6 no longer using ISC dhcp client.
>
> I am running BIND 9.3.1 with internal and external views of my namespace
> set-up so
> it is imperative that I be able to tell hosts on the internal network
> which name server
> to use.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

You need to use supersede like this:

interface "ath0"   {
	supersede domain-name "yourdomain.com";
	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
}

See man dhclient.conf for more options.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at mangohealth.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org