System Still Freezing

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 14:12:42 UTC 2006

Grant Peel wrote:
> As you may be aware, I have a PE 1850 that has started to intermitantly
> freeze (this all started Feb 23rd). SOmetimes, it will run for 2 days,
> then freeze, sometimes it can run as long as 5 days.
>
> All logs and everything turned up to near debug, show nothing. The
> system just stops dead, and again, a physical suyvey of the server
> reveals nothing. All lights still working and blinking, no excessive
> heat not beeps etc etc.

Maybe your power supply is going bad and delivering marginal voltages?
Do you have it in a redundant config, or could you try adding a second PSU?

> A week ago, I ran every 32 bit Dell diagnostic I could on it ... for 4
> hours straight and not 1 error found. I also ran memetst86 for 3 hours
> and no errors found.

That's interesting but not really conclusive.  If it's taking 2-5 days for
FreeBSD to die, you're probably going to have to run memtest or prime95 at least
overnight (12+ hours, and it would be better to run them for longer) to really
catch anything.

--
-Chuck