Do you use MySQL?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 12:55:40 UTC 2006

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
[ ... ]
> - Which version of FreeBSD are you running?

4.11, 5.4, 5-STABLE, 6-STABLE

> - Which version of MySQL are you running?

Generally:

mysql-server-4.1.18_2 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
[ using native pthreads ]

> - If you're not running MySQL 5.0, why not?

For the most part, I just use mysql for testing or for a backend to something
like Wordpress; I've still got a production Oracle 8.1.7 database on a 6-disk
Sun E250 for a mission-critical in-house system, and I'd generally go with that
or with FrontBase or OpenBase on an Xserve for clients.

I don't need anything from MySQL 5 that 4 doesn't provide.

> - Where do you get your MySQL software from?
>
>   * From the MySQL web site?
>   * From a FreeBSD CD/DVD distribution?
>   * Package (precompiled) from the FreeBSD web site (either directly
>     or via a mirror)?
>   * From the ports collection?

Ports.

> - Which threading library are you using?  Why?

Native pthreads.  It's the default choice and works fine for what I do.

> - Have you had to change the default installation (different compile
>   flags, different installation directories, etc.)?

Nope.

> - Do you have any problems that you think are related to the choice of
>   the version you're using?

No.  I doubt I'm running more than a query a second on average for what I'm
using mysql for now.

--
-Chuck