dump level 9

Paolo Tealdi paolo.tealdi at polito.it
Thu Mar 16 12:50:37 UTC 2006

At 11.20 16/03/2006 +0000, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

>Clutching at straws, here are some things I might try:
>
>1) "which dump" - just to be absolutely sure

/sbin/dump

>2) Remake dump from /usr/src.
>
>3) Make sure base system is OK.  Cvsup, buildworld, buildkernel etc.
>This would bring you up to -p12 and require reboot.  If behaviour
>still the same, file a PR.
>
>4) Depending on your C prowess, instrument dump with some debugging
>info - at the point where it decides to back up a file, print out
>the relevant variables (the dates on the file and the date that it
>is being compared against).  This will generate a lot of output but
>you can just hit ^C after a few seconds of printing.  I don't think
>gdb would be an option as dump forks to
>
>5) Do a level 0 of / home.  Check that the restore actually works by
>actually restoring at least some of it, not just using ls.  Then
>newfs /home  being very careful and then restore it! (Being
>paranoid, I would make more than one dump, including one to tape,
>and would restore one of the backups to some spare disk).

I will do a newfs on saturday afternoon, after doing some backups
(also on tape). After this, if the problem  persists, i'll do the
pass 2, 3 and 4.
In my opinion something gets damaged at filesystem level after an
energy block (date are similar). I did an fsck (more times) but the
problem persists : probably fsck doesn't recognise the problem.
It could be important to do debugging for this problem, but it's a
production disk (big) and i can't "play" with it too much.
Thanks a lot for your support.

Best regards,
Paolo Tealdi

Ing. Paolo Tealdi              Servizi Informatici per le Biblioteche
Politecnico Torino             Phone : +39-011-5646714 , FAX : +39-011-5646799
C.so Duca degli Abruzzi,  24 - 10129 Torino - ITALY Email :
paolo.tealdi at polito.it