Sound Crackling When Reading From Hard Drives

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 16 09:19:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:43:36 -0600
Mark Kane <mark at mkproductions.org> wrote:
> [...]
> probably has to do with reading from drives  in general and not just
> extracting archives.
>
> I then did another test with md5 to test my "reading from disk"
> theory.  When using a utility like `md5`, sound crackling occurred
> when using  `md5` on files from the same source drives that had
> problems copying  FROM in the below tests. In other words, copying a
> file from ad12 to ad0  produced heavy crackling in the below copy
> tests but copying the same  file from ad0 to ad12 did not. When
> using `md5` on the file located on  ad12 it makes the bad crackling
> noise, but once again it has no  crackling problems when md5ing the
> same file located on ad0.
>
> Three of the drives are on the motherboard's on-board controllers.
> The  mobo has a total of four onboard IDE channels, so each hard
> drive is  master on it's own dedicated channel and the DVD burner
> has it's own  channel too. The remaining three hard drives are on a
> Promise (PDC20269)  PCI ATA card. They all have brand new proper
> cables and have no other  problems.
>
> The same result happens with different music file types (ogg, wave,
> mp3)  being played back from various drives. When rebuilding for
> 6.1-BETA4 I  tried the ULE scheduler instead of the 4BSD. ULE seems
> to do better for  video playback which had some stuttering problems
> before, but doesn't  change this sound crackling problem when
> reading from hard drives.  However with ULE I did experience a few
> seconds of freezing while trying  to get out of my screensaver (just
> a black screen) as there was HD  activity in the background as well
> as an earlier 5-10 second freeze  while playing video from one HD at
> the same time another HD was decoding  some files, but that's
> another topic.
>
> I have no special options enabled in my kernel now except for the
> emu_10k1 driver and atapicam.
>
> Here is a sample of the crackling when doing some of the below copy
> tests. A few seconds of the normal song is first, then I start the
> copy  when the crackling kicks in...followed by a few seconds of
> normal  playback again after it's done. It's harder to notice on the
> second cut  but I tried a couple genres of music. Again, this is not
> the worst  problem but I'd like to help improve it any way I can
> (I'm not a coder,  but am very willing to test).
>
> http://www.tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/FreeBSD_sound_crackling.ogg
>
> So in short, when playing audio and reading files from hard drives,
> the  sound has crackling noises in it. It happens when extracting
> archives  and copying files from drive to drive with my additional
> drives, but  reading and extracting from/to ad0 (the FreeBSD install
> drive) always  seems to work with no crackling. It's just the
> additional ones now that  seem to have problems when
> reading/copying/md5ing from them.
>
> Is this some weird hardware problem on my end? Has anyone else seen
> or  experienced this? What can I try to help narrow down the problem

Try to increase pcm buffersize either using kenv(1) or
/boot/device.hints.

# Start from 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536
# kenv hint.pcm.0.buffersize=8192

or to make it permanent, put that into /boot/device.hints

Reload your sound driver.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD