1,000 Days Up Time Freebsd4.7

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 14 19:57:57 UTC 2006

	We recently had a FreeBSD4.7 system almost make it to 1,000
days uptime.  It may have actually done it but it also appears to have
rebooted itself just as it reached 1,000 days.

	Is anybody aware of any kind of counter overflow or anything
along those lines that might have caused the reboot?

	Obviously a system that has been up for that long without a
break isn't too sick, but I can't imagine what happened.  There are no
signs of anything being wrong.  After it rebooted itself, it just kept
on ticking like it has for the last 2-and-a-quarter years.

	I looked in /var/log/messages and found no tracks.  The last
message was a routine message about the dhcp lease it had and then a
few minutes later, the next message was the copyright notice on the
kernel as the reboot started.

	That FreeBSD is just wonderful, though.  I know of some other
popular OS's that can't even dream of that much uptime.

	Thanks for any useful information.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer