Regarding the (apparent) removal of syslogd_program functionality in recent versions

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Mar 14 17:54:15 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Mar 14), Bill Moran said:
> The rc.conf manpage states that syslogd_program= can be used to
> change the program run for system logging.  This is also mentioned in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf and in the pkg-message for the syslog-ng port.
>
> It appears as if this capability has been removed from post 4.x
> systems.  The rcng script for syslog does not honor syslogd_program -
> nor does anything else on a 6.0 system, as far as I can tell.

The capability is still there; it's just overridden by the syslog
startup script.  If you remove the command="/usr/sbin/${name}" line
from /etc/rc.d/syslogd, then setting syslogd_program will work again.
There's already a default syslogd_program="/usr/sbin/syslogd" line in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, so hardcoding it in the startup script was
unnecessary.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com