installs fine, but won't boot.

NevTide nevtide at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 12:16:22 UTC 2006

--- Vulpes Velox <v.velox at vvelox.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:25:32 -0800 (PST)
> NevTide <nevtide at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to get FreeBSD to run on my
> Toshiba
> > Satellite (m45 359). I tried a couple of times
> with
> > version 6.0 and the install went fine, but the
> > computer doesn't seem to recognize the drive as
> being
> > bootable. (So I experimented with a couple
> different
> > setting the partition (yes, it's a primary) to
> > bootable, even erasing the whole drive and
> allocating
> > it to FreeBSD. Regardless of what I've tried, the
> boot
> > sequence doesn't see a hardrive and skips it.
> >
> > Also tried 5.4, but that freezes on booting the
> > install cd (probably just need to disable acpi)
> but I
> > really don't want 5.4 anyways.
> >
> > Currently I'm writing this from ubuntu dapper (as
> > test) - install went smooth and grub loaded with
> no
> > problem but I'd really prefer to get back to bsd.
> >
> > Thanks for anyway help or feedback.
>
> This is probally not the case, but when you got it
> would it boot
> windows properly and if not will it boot properly if
> you hit
> ctl+alt+del?
>
> I've seen hard drives get skipped over before
> because of some what
> slow spin up times.

Vulpes -

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, windows xp boots very well - I have actually
since removed ubuntu (good distro, but I don't really
like it and have temporarily gone back to winxp until
I can get freebsd working.)

So linux and winxp have both been installed and
removed a couple times with no problems. Freebsd is
the only one not wanting to play on this computer :-(

For some strange reason, the drive isn't noticed when
freebsd is on it (even when the boot manager is
installed, the boot manager doesn't even load??)