Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Mar 14 10:21:24 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-14 11:13, Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no> wrote:
>> You haven't replied very usefully to some of my suggestions, at least.
>>
>> One of them was that with all these scripted trickery you had been
>> using, your /usr/include headers may be out of touch with reality.
>>
>> # Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:52:16 +0200
>> # From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
>> # Subject: Re: Haven't been able to make world in about a year
>> # To: Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no>
>> # Cc: "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd at gmail.com>,
>> #         freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> #
>> # [...]
>> #
>> # > --------------------------------------------------------------
>> # > >>> stage 2.3: build tools
>> # > --------------------------------------------------------------
>> # > cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  INSTALL="sh
>> # > /usr/src/tools/install.sh"
>> #
>> # [...]
>> #
>> # It looks like your system headers may have serious problems.  Is this
>> # system a clean installation of 5.4-RELEASE or one where you may have
>> # updated the system headers manually at some time?
>>
>> Any idea what a possible & useful answer to that question is?
>
> Considering I removed all of /usr/src and redownloaded it with cvsup,
> I would rule out this possibility. However I don't deny its possibility ...

Not exactly.

I'm not talking about /usr/src headers, but about /usr/include headers.
The latter doesn't get updated until *after* you complete an
installworld.  If you have somehow messed it up, you won't be able to
use this system for builds.

Which brings us to the next step: Install a clean 6.0-RELEASE on a new
system and build there.  You have obviously done something very wrong
with the current setup of this system.

> It would be real sweet not having to reinstall everything,
> even though I can restore all my configuration files in just one command.

Configuration files won't cut it.  You need a clean *base* system.
All of it.  Not just a mixture of files that happens to be around.