mail backup solution?

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Tue Mar 14 00:46:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:20:09AM +0000, Carlos Silva, yourdot-internet.com wrote:
> I have my email stored at a reseller account (via imap) on a server.
> My intention is that my server at home, download all the emails via imap
> to backup automatically everyday.
> But, I dont want that my server download repeated messages (because i
> have thousands of emails...).
> Someone has a solution?

Sure:

/usr/ports/mail/offlineimap

But there's one caveat though! offlineimap does a symmetric
synchronization between both sides. If you play around with your
local copy, and delete some messages there, offlinemap will also
delete the corresponding messages on your ISPs IMAP server (unless
you delete the metadata before), which may not exactly be what you
want. I've been there the first time and I've been bitten by this
once... but I'm using this now for regular backups and sychronizations
between multiple IMAP hosts, both mobile and fixed.

Good luck!

> Best Regards,
> Carlos Silva,
> http://www.yourdot-services.com/