mail backup solution?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 13 14:09:17 UTC 2006

Pat Maddox wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
>> Your mail hosting provider should have working backups, although it is worth
>> checking.
>
> I have a server running postfix/courier-imap, and I'd like to know how
> to make those working backups.  I've asked a couple places but haven't
> found anything useful.

The two most common styles of mailboxes are mbox and maildir, and both of those
can be backed up at the filesystem level using dump, tar, or anything else.

People using Exchange or Lotus Notes or something else which has a proprietary
backend database require special software to generate usable backups, but what
else would you expect?

--
-Chuck