Help with lost MBR on USB HDD

Jarrod O'Flaherty jofsama at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 04:37:40 UTC 2006

Hi fbsd_user,

Happy to help!

The tools I used were:
> dd (pre-installed in FreeBSD)
> chexedit (available under /usr/ports/editors/chexedit)

In terms of literature I read a great deal, all of which was helpful.

Perhaps the most helpful links though were:

o http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwchs.htm

o http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q140418/

o http://www.ranish.com/part/primer.htm
o http://cnlart.web.cern.ch/cnlart/236/disk_partition.html

o http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html#s6

o http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/DiskTerms.htm

o http://home.att.net/~rayknights/pc_boot/w95b_mbr.htm

o http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8661

o http://www.digit-life.com/articles/bootman/index.html

o http://www.uneraser.com/mbr-damaged.htm

o http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/part.html

o http://linux.com.hk/penguin/man/8/gpart.html

You might also like to look into the tool "gpart", the last link in the
list above. I didn't need anything that sophisticated fortunately.

Good luck!!

Regards,
Jarrod.