Sending error messages to a cell phone?

robert bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sun Mar 12 21:26:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:13 -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> I have an email address setup for my cell phone and I would like
> FreeBSD to send critical error messages to this address.
>
> How do I tell FreeBSD to do this and more importantly should I do
> this, because it costs 10 cents for each message?

Nickolas,

You can get all messages sent to root forwarded to another address by
adding that address to the /etc/aliases file, this is read by sendmail
or rather the database created when you run newaliases when it needs to
know where to send mail. You can decide which messages to send too.

As to the value - well that is up to you and how critical the machine
is.

hope this helps

Rob