gmirror on a laptop.

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:17:19 UTC 2006

On 3/11/06, Patrick Bowen <pbowen at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> List;
>
> I wanted to fiddle around with gmirror(8) on a Dell C-600 Laptop. It has
> a 2-slice, 20 Gig HD, and I essentially wanted to mirror ad0s1 to ad0s2.
> I realize this will put the HD under stress, but otherwise it seems do-able.
>
> What I want to know is whether this is such an incredibly bad idea I
> shouldn't even consider it --or-- it seems like a good way to get
> familiar with gmirror, so go for it.

Besides slowing down your I/O, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
I don't know that there's a whole lot to learn about gmirror,
but in the interest of furthering debate, I've done more than
a little bit of learning in those areas thanks to the "joys" of
qemu.  It does have the advantage of not trashing your desktop
if you should do something horribly silly, as I would admit to
being wont.