Xorg config problems

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sat Mar 11 17:11:45 UTC 2006

stan wrote:
> I recycle old P2 class machines for a set of applications at work. I
> switched to Xorg for these machines a while back, and was pleased to find
> that I did not have to create a config file for Xorg as it was able to
> autodetect all the correct stuff.
>
> Today, though I ran up on 2 machines that are the older end of the spectrum
> of machines that I use for this, and for some reason this does not seem to
> be working.
>
> Here's the Xorg logfiel from oen of these amchines:
*SNIP*
> My guess is thta the graphics cards on these machiens ahve too lilltle
> memory to work with the default set of assumptions on these machines.
> However I really don't need very hi-res displays on these amchines.
>
> Any sugestions as to how to get Xorg to work with these machines?

Try doing an X -configure, which will write out an xorg.conf file for
you.  You can then tweak the settings to something that works.  It looks
like, from the log you sent, that the hsync refresh rate that Xorg is
guessing is wrong.  You might be able to google on your video card and
find the right setting.

HTH,
Micah