make installworld fails

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Mar 11 14:41:01 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-11 12:28, "lars at gmx.at" <lars at gmx.at> wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >>The error message is wrong.
> >
> >Actually it's correct, just a bit unclear.  UPDATING includes the
> >complete procedure you should always follow when building world.  It
> >includes a 'mergemaster -p' step, precisely for the purpose of adding
> >new users and groups when they appear.
> Dear Kris
> I have a few questions related to this error message
> ERROR: Required audit group is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING
>
> I know that updating requires the mergemaster steps because I read the
> handbook. But I don't understand why this message tells me to look
> in that file, when there's nothing about that in it.
>
> Is /usr/src/UPDATING synonymous to 'the correct updating procedure'?

By definition, yes.

> Or is there a file which describes how I can manually insert needed
> groups and users when I mess up mergemaster runs?

The documented procedure in `/usr/src/UPDATING', as Kris has already
mentioned includes a run of mergemaster with the -p option.  Copying
from my CURRENT's version of `UPDATING':

%       To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
%       -----------------------------------------------------------
%       # Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more than
%       # is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current.
%
%       <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
%       make buildworld
%       make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
%                                                       [1]
%       <reboot in single user>                         [3]
%       mergemaster -p                                  [5]
%       make installworld
%       make delete-old
%       mergemaster                                     [4]
%       <reboot>
%
%       [1] If you have third party modules, such as vmware, you
%       should disable them at this point so they don't crash your
%       system on reboot.
%
%       [3] From the bootblocks, boot -s, and then do
%               fsck -p
%               mount -u /
%               mount -a
%               cd src
%               adjkerntz -i            # if CMOS is wall time
%       Also, when doing a major release upgrade, it is required that
%       you boot into single user mode to do the installworld.
%
%       [4] Note: This step is non-optional.  Failure to do this step
%       can result in a significant reduction in the functionality of the
%       system.  Attempting to do it by hand is not recommended and those
%       that pursue this avenue should read this file carefully, as well
%       as the archives of freebsd-current and freebsd-hackers mailing lists
%       for potential gotchas.
%
%       [5] Usually this step is a noop.  However, from time to time
%       you may need to do this if you get unknown user in the following
%       step.  It never hurts to do it all the time.  You may need to
%       install a new mergemaster (cd src/usr.sbin/mergemaster && make
%       install) after the buildworld before this step if you last updated
%       from current before 20020224 or from -stable before 20020408.

Read these instructions.  Then read them again.  Then throw away that
script and start over :)

> And finally, is it really necessary to reboot after 'mergemaster -p'?

No.  `UPDATING' mentions running `mergemaster -p' *AFTER* rebooting into
single user mode, not *BEFORE*.

> Lately I've skipped that step with no adverse side-effects, saves me one
> reboot :-)

You'll start booting into single user mode again, when you try to run
`make installworld' with an old kernel and have it blow up, leaving you
with a half installed base system and a lot of `interesting' work in
front of you.  Or when you install everything without a reboot, replace
your old working userland and then find out that your new kernel is
unbootable and your new userland is unusable without a new kernel.

Booting into single user mode guarantees that you have verified at least
once that the new kernel works.  There's a very good reason why this is
recommended :)

- Giorgos