make installworld fails

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Mar 11 11:51:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 12:28:32PM +0100, lars at gmx.at wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >>The error message is wrong.
> >
> >Actually it's correct, just a bit unclear.  UPDATING includes the
> >complete procedure you should always follow when building world.  It
> >includes a 'mergemaster -p' step, precisely for the purpose of adding
> >new users and groups when they appear.
> Dear Kris
> I have a few questions related to this error message
> ERROR: Required audit group is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING
>
> I know that updating requires the mergemaster steps because I read the
> handbook. But I don't understand why this message tells me to look
> in that file, when there's nothing about that in it.
>
> Is /usr/src/UPDATING synonymous to 'the correct updating procedure'?

Yes, /usr/src/UPDATING does describe the correct updating procedure.
If you follow that procedure you should not have any problems with missing
groups.
Look under COMMON ITEMS at the end of /usr/src/UPDATING.

> Or is there a file which describes how I can manually insert needed groups
> and users when I mess up mergemaster runs?
>
> Or is that pointless anyway since I could just remove /usr/obj and rerun
> the whole updating procedure again before I reboot?
>
> And finally, is it really necessary to reboot after 'mergemaster -p'?
> Lately I've skipped that step with no adverse side-effects, saves me one
> reboot :-)

It is sometimes necessary to reboot with the new kernel to have
'make installworld' work correctly (and the recommended procedure is to
reboot into single user mode *before* running 'mergemaster -p' (which in
turn is to be done before 'make installworld').