Help with IP Filter 4.1.8

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Mar 11 10:51:49 UTC 2006

Roman Serbski wrote:

>> Start over with a clean /usr/src and /usr/obj tree and read the file
>> ``/usr/src/UPDATING'' for instructions about upgrading from source.
>
> Dear Erik and Giorgos,
>
> Thanks a lot for your assistance! I just cvsuped one hour ago,
> build/install kernel/world and now everything is working just fine! I
> had probably a bad luck during first cvsup...
>
> One last question (just for curiosity). What is the procedure for
> _upgrading_ of ipf? I mean, since ipf is already included in the base
> (v4.1.8), is it possible to upgrade it to v4.1.10?

The ipf source is as I understand it compiled as kernel modules or into
the kernel and some administrative applications are compiled to interact
with the kernel.

Hence, as mentioned by Giorgos, upgrading by downloading the source from
the official site should be done with care. The recommended way is as
Giorgos say to update your source and go with the current version
included in FreeBSD.

When I suggested to look at more resent versions it was more to check
the history and see if there was some bug discovered in 4.1.8 that had
been corrected and could have been causing your troubles.

If there are such bugs you should file a problem report. If changes are
minor it may be possible to merge the newer version into the FreeBSD
code, but at the cost that on next cvsup you will have to do it again
unless the newer version has been adopted.

If there are no such problems, don't bother to update. In such a crucial
part of the system it is important to be aware of the actual benefit
from upgrading.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org