COMPAT?? options in FreeBSD 6.x's /etc/make.conf.

Jonathan Kop jonathan.kop at za.verizonbusiness.com
Thu Mar 9 12:34:44 UTC 2006

I don't know if I'm being a dope about this, but I can't seem to figure
out how to get libc.so.3 compiled and installed in FreeBSD 6.x.

Previously (at least in FreeBSD 5.x), the backwards-compatible libcs could
be found in /usr/src/lib/compat, and setting the appropriate option in
/etc/make.conf (e.g. COMPAT3X=yes, etc.) would ensure that the desired
library would be built and installed.

In FreeBSD 6.x, however, those make.conf directives appear to be
unavailable and the compat libraries do not exist in the source tree.
(Unless I'm missing something obvious.)

(There is also a port for the compat libraries, but that looks to be
derelict and scheduled for removal from the ports tree.)

So, the question: how do I get libc.so.3 on my FreeBSD 6.x system?

Thanks,
Jonathan.