suggestions for an ecomomy laser printer

Ross Lonstein ross-freebsd at lonsteins.com
Wed Mar 8 15:01:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:50:45PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
    [snip]
> I bought a Brother HL-5250DN for $249.95 at Staples, wasn't even on
> sale. Has "BRscript" Postscript clone, ethernet, duplex, and all that
> good stuff. First page from cold in 10 or 20 seconds.
    [snip]

I'll second the recommendation for the Brother HL-5xxxDN series. I have
a 5170DN that for the past year has worked well with FreeBSD, OpenBSD
and Linux (using lpr, lprng and cups, variously), OSX and Windows (98SE,
XP). Postscript and PCL. No configuration problems. Just works.

Not as over-built as the HP LaserJet 4+ it replaced but good enough for
the sub-$300 price.

- Ross