Portupgrade Operation

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 07:14:42 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
> If I manually rm -rf a port, manually untar (ie glib.tar.gz), and do a
> portupgrade -rR glib, will packages that have a specific dependency on
> the old glib version get rebuilt?  Or if not will they break (I am just
> using glib as an example and looking for a very general answer)?  I
> would like to figure out how portupgrade works without CVSUPing the
> whole port tree.  Like in the case of  a security problem on a
> production server.  I don't necessarily want to rebuild every port that
> has been installed on the box.  Doing this has worked so-far, but I want
> to make sure that this is the best approach, so that I don't end up
> having the mess I had a while back with dependencies.

Keeping your apps up-to-date is kinda proactively secure.

Anyway, we always have the latest ports tree (it's actually
mounted read-only via NFS on every FreeBSD machine
at our site) and if you don't want to update all at once -
just don't use portupgrade -a. And yes, in case your whole
ports tree is fresh, portupgrade -rR glib will upgrade all
dependencies and dependants (recursively).