SATA Raid (stress test..)

Beastie beastie at mra.co.id
Tue Mar 7 19:03:32 PST 2006

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>On 3/5/06, Beastie <beastie at mra.co.id> wrote:
>

>>Nikolas Britton wrote:
>>On 3/3/06, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>

>>Nikolas Britton wrote:
>>

>>Please can you be careful when you attribute your comments. You've sent
>>

>this
>

>>email "to" me, and left only my name in the attributions as if I
>>

>were
>

>>someone suggesting either dd or diskinfo as accurate benchmarks,
>>

>when in
>

>>fact my contribution was to suggest unixbench and sandra-lite.
>>

>Maybe you
>

>>hate those too, in which case you can quote what I said
>>

>in-context and
>

>>rubbish that at your pleasure.
>>

>>Yes I see your point, it does look like I'm replying to something you
>>

>wrote.
>

>>This was a oversight and I am sorry.
>>

>>OK.
>>

>>Remember that 105MB/s number I quoted above?, that's just the
>>

>sustained read
>

>>transfer rate for a big ass file, I don't need to work
>>

>with big ass files. I
>

>>need to work with 15MB files (+/- 5MB). After
>>

>buying the right disks,
>

>>controller, mainboard etc. and lots of tuning
>>

>with the help of iozone I get:
>

>>200 - 350MB/s overall (read, write,
>>

>etc.) for files less then or equal to
>

>>64MB*.
>>

>So anyways, that's what iozone can do for you. google it and
>

>>you'll
>>

>find out more stuff about it.
>

>>Thanks for the info. I think I can only dream about numbers like like
>>

>yours.
>

>>Iozone looks to be in the ports so I see some of my weekend
>>

>disappearing
>

>>looking at it :-)
>>

>>It runs on over two dozen operating systems, including windows. Their are
>>two primary reasons I can get such high transfer rates from simple SATA
>>drives. The first one was the selection of the mainboard that had a PCI-X
>>slots, I built this system before PCI-Express mainboards and controllers hit
>>the market. The PCI bus is severely restricted and obsolete, I'm simply
>>going to post the theoretical maximum throughput in MB/s for the various bus
>>standards: f(x,y) = x-bits * y-MHz / 8 = maximum theoretical throughput in
>>MB/s PCI: 32 bits * 33 Mhz / 8 = 132 MB/s (standard PCI bus found on every
>>pc) PCI: (32bits, 66MHz) = 264MB/s (Cards are commonplace, mainboards
>>aren't) PCI-X: (64, 33) = 264MB/s (obsolete, won't find it on new boards.)
>>PCI-X: (64, 66) = 528MB/s (Commonplace.) PCI-X: (64, 100) = 800 PCI-X: (64,
>>133) = 1064 (Commonplace.) PCI-X: (64, 266) = 2128 PCI-X: (64, 533) = 4264
>>(very hard to find, even on high-end equipment.) PCI-X version 1 (66MHz -
>>133MHz) and PCI-X version 2 (266MHz - 533MHz). PCI-X is backwards compatible
>>with PCI and slower versions of PCI-X, for example you can put a standard
> [...]
 .

Second test with 128MB buffers (attach) on
- SATA II Seagate Baracuda
- PCI-X Intel SRCS16
- Intel Xeon 3.0 with 2 GB DDR RAM
- and Intel SE7320EP2 board
- FreeBSD-6.1 Pre-RELEASE

Thanks  before for good review and explanation. I need to be sure that
there is no performance issue before i put this machine into production.

regards
reza